Hungary led by Görbicz, defeated Korea after thriller

photo: Bjørn Kenneth Muggerud
Hungary led by Görbicz, defeated Korea after thriller

Møbelringen Cup, Bergen

Sotra Arena

Third day

Hungary –  Korea 28 – 27 (13 – 12)


Hungary – Görbicz 11(2), Tóth 5, Szöllősi-Zácsik 3,  Bódi 4, Kisfaludy 2, Klivinyi 2, Gávai 1

Korea – Ryu 8(1), Sim 5, Gwon 8(4), Kim, Choi 2, Jo 1, Gim 3

Suspensions: 4 minutes; 4 minutes

7 meters: 2/2; 7/5

The match between the two teams which have already lost their first two matches was the first game of the last day in the preparation tournament from Bergen. Hungary started better this encounter and got a 6-4 lead against Korea. Kinga Janurik made some important saves in the Hungarian goal, in attack Görbicz, Kisfaludy, Tóth, and Klivinyi were efficient. Despite the advantage, Hungary made many mistakes and had troubles in defense against a quick and unusual Korean play. 7-6 was the lead for Kim Rasmussen’s team when Korea took a time-out. The short break seemed to help the Asian team as they managed to put four balls in a row in Janurik’s goal , leveling the game and taking the lead 7-10. It was Rasmussen’s moment to call his first time-out, and he made himself understood loudly: his team needed to make the defense more compact and in attack to play more precisely. Hungarians took the hint and scored four goals in a row, taking back the lead 11-10, then 12-10. Koreas most dangerous player was right-back Ryu, the Hungarian defense could not control her play in the first thirty minutes at all. Halftime: 13-12

The second half started better for Koreans, they scored four goals, 13-16 without any Hungarian goal. Hungary made several mistakes, Gávai, Kovacsics or Görbicz had all their bad moments in front of the Korean goal or defense. Bíró managed to save two seven-meters in a critical period of the game. Anita Görbicz scored from her half-court, as well as from seven-meter, leftwing or backcourt.

Even if Bíró had a good performance Hungary was down with 2-3 goals all the time:16-19,  17-20. Tóth managed to level the game 21-21, but Korea was unstoppable and was in lead 21-23, 22-25 again. Anita Görbicz was determined to win this match and continued her one-woman show, 24-25 from seven-meter, 25-26 from the back player position. Four minutes before the end Bernadette Bódi scored and leveled the game again, 26-26. Ryu shooted her goal number eight and gave back the Korean lead, 26-27, but Görbicz equalized again 27-27.

In the dying minutes of the match, Hungary had the ball, but Szöllősi-Zácsik missed the long distance shoot. One minute to go, when Korea took a time-out, to try to decide the game.  Ryu missed the shoot right after this and gave the chance for Hungary to have the last attack and win the match. Kim Rasmussen took his last time-out also, to give his team some advice in order to score the goal of victory. Hungary played until the referees showed passive play, and eight seconds before the end Anita Görbicz scored her eleventh goal which meant the victory for her team, 28-27. Korea tried one more attack, but Biró saved the leftwinger’s shoot.

Click to add a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Hungarian living in Norway with a great passion for handball, primarly women handball. Travels all over the world to follow handball matches and tournaments and to write good articles on this website.

More in Women

EHF CL groups draw for season 2022/2023 is set

Ibolya SzekeresJuly 1, 2022

Ana Gros and Yvette Broch return to Győr – official

Ibolya SzekeresJune 10, 2022

Laura Glauser and Crina Pintea leaves Győr

Ibolya SzekeresJune 7, 2022

Vipers Kristiansand defends the Champions League title

Ibolya SzekeresJune 5, 2022

Bronze medals for Metz Handball

Ibolya SzekeresJune 5, 2022

Team Esbjerg after the lost semifinal

Ibolya SzekeresJune 4, 2022