Champions League

Strong second half lead FTC to a victory

Photo: Filip Viranovski /
Strong second half lead FTC to a victory

In the Main Round Group II in the Women’s EHF Champions League, FTC met Buducnost on Sunday afternoon in Dabas, Hungary. The former double winners Buducnost started better (2-4) but FTC stood up in no time (5-4). The first half turned into a crazy run as both teams were concentrating on attacks and neither the defenses, nor the goalkeepers managed to stop the shots. Buducnost showed a great fight and gave a tough time to the Hungarian silver medallists. In the second part of the first half, it was mostly Buducnost that had the lead, sometimes even by 3 goals (9-12) but FTC was running close behind. The Hungarians were making more mistakes than expected and these errors were punished by the guests. With less than 2 minutes left from the first half, Buducnost seemed to take an advantage to the locker room (16-18) but FTC made a 3-0 run in the last 2 minutes to turn it around just before the halftime whistle (19-18).

In the second half, Gábor Elek replaced Blanka Bíró by Melinda Szikora in the goal and this change turned out to be decisive regarding the outcome of the game. Szikora entered the game very well and some spectacular saves helped her team gain momentum in the first minutes of the second half. FTC entered the court at a higher speed after the halftime break and Buducnost couldn’t keep the rhythm any more (26-20). FTC’s attacks worked well, while the change in the goal made a major change in the game flow as Buducnost was struggling hard to score. The young Montenegrin team was making a lot more mistakes than in the first half and FTC used these occasions well to run over the opponent. With 10 minutes left from the match, Buducnost was on the edge of being counted out (32-23) but in the remaining 10 minutes, the Hungarians couldn’t break this barrier. However, FTC’s victory was never in doubt in the second half: a good goalkeeper performance and a more focused defense helped FTC to an easy victory against their old rivals Buducnost (34-26). From Buducnost’s side, there were still things to be happy about: the young team of Dragan Adzic showed a lot of potential for the future, especially in the first half of the match.

EHF Champions League – Main Round – Group II
FTC-Rail Cargo Hungaria – Buducnost 34-26 (19-18)
FTC: L. van der Heijden 7(2), N. Pena 5(1), A. Kovacsics 5, V. Lukács 5, G. Márton 4, N. Háfra 3, D. Hornyák 1, D. Snelder 1, M. Jovanovic 1, N. Schatzl 1, R. Mészáros 1
Buducnost: D. Jaukovic 6, I. Grbic 5, T. Brnovic 4, D. Ujkic 2, C. Laslo 2(2), D. Malovic 2, M. Pletikosic 1, S. Premovic 1, I. Pavicevic 1, E. Ramusovic 1, M. Raicevic 1
Penalties: 3/3 ; 2/2
Suspensions:  6 minutes ; 6 minutes

Click to add a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Champions League

Hungarian, handball and travel addict. Always hungry for information about handball and always ready to share these with others.

More in Champions League

Ana Gros and Yvette Broch return to Győr – official

Ibolya SzekeresJune 10, 2022

Vipers Kristiansand defends the Champions League title

Ibolya SzekeresJune 5, 2022

Bronze medals for Metz Handball

Ibolya SzekeresJune 5, 2022

Team Esbjerg after the lost semifinal

Ibolya SzekeresJune 4, 2022

Vipers in the final for the second time in a row

Ibolya SzekeresJune 4, 2022

Energy and power from the stands pushed Győr towards the final

Ibolya SzekeresJune 4, 2022