Győri Audi ETO KC started the season with some reinforcements: international players like Stine Bredal Oftedal, Anne Mette Hansen and Anja Althaus arrived to Győr and everything looked well for the defending champions. In the past seasons, the Hungarian champions had struggled a lot with injuries and it became clear right in autumn that this season wouldn’t be any different. Almost all of Győri Audi ETO’s players have been out with injuries for shorter or longer periods. This wasn’t the only disturbing factor for the defending champions: head coach Ambros Martín published in February that he wouldn’t prolong his contract with the club and will leave at the end of the current season. After six years with the Spaniard at the steering wheel, this can be called an end of an era. However, all the problems seemed to make them stronger as they were flying through the group stages. Even though they lost to Rostov and CSM on the way, they finished the Group Stage and the Main Round on top, then eliminated their old rivals Buducnost and arrived to Budapest for the fourth time. The team can’t count on Nora Mörk, Zsuzsanna Tomori and Jana Knedlikova. If they can defend their throne of Europe or some of the competitors will manage to dethrone them, we will see in less than two days.
– Győri Audi ETO KC was the last team to defend the title (2013, 2014). So, with this, they were the last team to win in the old format and the first team to win in the new FINAL4 system.
– Győri Audi ETO KC can be the first team to defend the title in the FINAL4 system.
– Ambros Martín will leave the club and is heading to another FINAL4 rival, Rostov-Don. His successor will be the current assistant coach, Gábor Danyi.
– This will be the first ever FINAL4 in her first ever CL-season for the captain of the Norwegian national team, Stine Bredal Oftedal.
– Team captain Anita Görbicz will celebrate her 35th birthday on the day of the final. Raising the trophy is the gift that every Győr player and fan would like to give to the legendary playmaker.
– Győri Audi ETO KC is the most successful team of the FINAL4 participants: they have collected three trophies (2013, 2014, 2017).
– There are only two players in the current squad that were part of all three: Anita Görbicz and Eduarda Amorim.
– There are 7 countries represented in the team: Hungary, Norway, Czech Republic, Brazil, Denmark, Netherlands, Spain.
Key players: Nycke Groot, Yvette Broch, Stine Oftedal, Anita Görbicz, Kari Aalvik Grimsbö, Eduarda Amorim