EHF EURO 2018
- Germany qualified to the Main Round with 2 points and they started very motivated this game against Spain (0 points) in order to gain more point
- The defense was compact for Germany, Xenia Smits having a central role in the middle of the defense and as a playmaker as well
- Dinah Eckerle made her best match here so far, having a 47% saving performance
- Germany was driven tempo, scoring fastbreak-goals and letting Spain without answer and reactions
- Germany had a comfortable advantage in the pause: 9-17
- The second half started somehow better for Spain, but they managed only to reduce the gap to four goals, never getting closer to Germans. Eckerle continued her performance in the goal and even if Carmen Martin tried everything for Spain it just not worked. She was disqualified with a direct red card four minutes before the final, for a fault against Müller.
- Secure and stable victory for Germany where Smits, Bölk, Eckerle, Schmelzer or Behnke jus got improved from match to match.
- Player of the match: Dinah Eckerle (GER)
Spain – Germany 23 – 29 (9 – 17)
Referees: Alpaidze, Berezkina (RUS)
Spain: Navarro, Castellanos (GK) – Martin 7(1), Arderius, Cesareo, Pena 1, L.Gonzalez, Lopez 3, Fernandez 4, Martinez, Rodriguez 5, Hernandez 1, Gil de la Vega, Valdivia, M.Gonzalez 2
Germany: Eckerle, Roch (GK) – Zapf 3, Berger 1, Grijssels 1, Schmelzer 4, Smits 3, Behnke 2, Zsochke, Bölk 4, Grossman 3, Weigel, Geschke 4/4, Müller 1, Schulze 1, Stolle 2
Suspensions: 8 minutes, 1 RC; 6 minutes
7 meters: 1/1; 4/4