OFFICIAL STATEMENT: The Executive Committee of the European Handball Federation has decided on the further rundown of the current European handball season
The EHF Executive Committee in a video conference on Friday, 24th of April 2020has taken a series of decisions regarding the further rundown of the European handball season, concluding that no matches can take place in June and that a number of competitions have to be either postponed or canceled.
The decisions were made in the light of COVID-19 pandemic after intensive monitoring of the current situation, including the analysis of government measures such as travel restrictions and bans of major events.
DELO WOMEN’S EHF Champions League
- The quarter-finals’ playing dates in June are canceled. The DELO WOMEN’S EHF FINAL4 is scheduled to take place on 5 and 6 September in Budapest.
- Currently EHF and EHF Marketing are checking the possibilities of playing the quarter-finals together with the EHF FINAL4 (Thursday and Saturday/Sunday on 3, 5, and 6 September). Should it not be possible to stage the EHF FINAL4 in September, an alternative date, together with the Hungarian Handball Federation as organizers, will be sought for the month of October. In this case, quarter-finals are not feasible anymore due to the already ongoing season and new media and marketing contracts.
- If the quarter-finals cannot be played, qualified for the DELO WOMEN’S EHF FINAL4 are the best two teams of the two main round groups: Metz Handball, Team Esbjerg, Györi Audi ETO KC, Brest Bretagne Handball.
VELUX EHF Champions League
The possibility was checked to have the remaining knock-out rounds played in autumn 2020. However, in the light of the dense calendar in men’s handball and the EHF’s new media and marketing agreement from next season onwards with potentially different media and marketing partners, this was not deemed feasible.
- Therefore, the remaining matches in the Last 16 and quarter-finals are canceled. As already announced, the VELUX EHF FINAL4 2020 will take place on 28 and 29 December in Cologne.
- Based on the final group phase ranking, qualified for the VELUX EHF FINAL4 are the best two teams of groups A and B: Barça, Paris Saint-Germain HB, THW Kiel, Telekom Veszprém HC.