The last time there was a DELO EHF Final4 organized, Győri Audi ETO KC won the title, so even if we had to wait one year extra, the Hungarian team are still the title-holders
Facts about Győr:
- 15 years in a row, Györ have reached at least the quarter-final; 13 times, including in 2021, they advanced to the semi-final
- Győr has been in the DELO EHF Final4 in Budapest five times (2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)
- Győr won the CL title five times, the first one was in 2013 when there was the old format with first leg-second leg
- Győr took the title in a Final4 format already four times, having plenty of experience
- Four of Győr’s CL titles were won under headcoach Ambros Martin, one with Gabor Danyi
- Two Győr-players could win their sixth CL-title, Anita Görbicz, and Eduarda Amorim
- Görbicz and Amorim will play their last two CL-games for Győr in the Final4. Gorbicz will retire after this season, meanwhile Amorim moves to Rostov Do
- Győr is the only former CL winner is among the participants (2013, 2014, 2017, 2018, 2019)
- Győr arrives unbeaten at the EHF FINAL4: the team won 12 times and had four draws in 16 matches this season (two of these draws were obtained against their semifinal opponents from Brest Bretagne)
- There are five players who will participate at their first Final4: Dorottya Faluvégi, Viktoria Lukács, Estelle Nze Minko, Silje Solberg and Laura Kürthy
The team had a long season filled with ups and downs, but in the Champions League they did not lose a game. They had four draws: one against CSKA Moskva in the first group match in Russia, two against Brest Bretagne in both group matches of the groups and one draw agianst Odense HC played in Denmark in the first leg of the quarter-finals.
However the dynamics inside the team were far from perfect, there were players who could not play because of some injuries, others cached the covid19 infection and needed a longer period for recovery and there were players who had got minor playing time and looked like are not in their best shape. At the end of last year, before the EURO, Amanda Kurtovic left the team on a loan and transferred to Turkey (Kastamonu). The team had to play without a lefthanded backplayer throughout all this season and the roles had to be changed inside the team. The biggest change has come just 3 weeks ago when Győr lost heavily in front of their domestic rival in Budapest. FTC won the decisive game for the race of the Hungarian League title with a margin of nine goals and secured the title in front of the favorites from Győr. After this match headcoach Gábor Danyi has been fired immediately and Ambros Martin stepped in as the new head coach to lead the team in the decisive games from the Hungarian Cup and DELO EHF Final4. The team won the Hungarian Cup and now is ready for the Final4 in Budapest.
Saturday, 29th of May , 15.15
Győri Audi ETO KC – Brest Bretagne